picture

picture

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Reflections

My last post was on my birthday, November 12. Since then there have been tons of thoughts in my mind and bunch of feelings going on... I turned 34 and somehow I felt old. 34 was my "original limit" for having kids, because I didn't want to give birth after 35. I guess I don't have to worry about that, but it made me think about the possibility of a sibling for Diego in the future.

Even though we had to (and still are) go through some adjustments with Diego after our trip to Southamerica, I came back with a really good feeling of where our family is and our relationship with Diego. Then, a week after my birthday we were in Vancouver, Canada, visiting my sister and meeting her new baby Camilo. I was very impressed with how well my sister has embraced motherhood. She breastfeeds him every 2 hours or so, and my poor sister does not sleep too much at all! But I never heard her complain about anything and between feedings she found time to clean her house and relax. As she was listening and singing Pink lyrics while hanging with baby Camilo, "sistah you are a rock star"!


Once again Diego did really well in the trip and showed really nice interest and curiosity towards baby Camilo. Diego would get in the baby's room and make the sign for baby, "asking" where he was or if Camilo was crying Diego would immediately look at him and then at me. I tried to assure him that his aunt was taking care of him and that there was nothing to worry about! This time Diego had a chance to cuddle a bit my sister and his uncle (and God Father) Camilo, because in May when he met them, we were very protective and didn't let them carry him at all !


This year we spent Thanksgiving here in Phoenix at one of our friends house. We were 4 families with a total of 6 kids, ranging from 13 months to 8 years old. Sometimes it was quite loud and crazy, but Diego hanged with the kids and didn't get in trouble, but got a bit overstimulated! But for me the main goal of the 4-day holiday was to get a Christmas tree and get the house decorated! Because this year has been a bit tough financially with only one income and Diego's two surgeries, we were trying to find a used pre-lit tree for $100 through craigslist, but we found a new one in Home Depot for $50 and I think we scored! We were going to put it together while Diego was taking his nap, but he woke up earlier and we had to do it with him around! We put all of the breakable ornaments above Diego's height, but still have had few issues getting Diego to leave some ornaments alone. Diego had seen Christmas tree at my sister's house and at our friends the day before, so he was not totally in shock, but still it has taking him a while to warm up to it!

We bought ornaments in Russia and had others from an older tree we had, so we just had to buy few things here and there and our house is ready for the season! One of the few things I bought was two Christmas CDs, and one of the CDs is from a band named Celtic Women. Years ago I saw a concert in PBS (public TV channel) and last year Mark bought me one of their CDs, which I LOVE! The funny thing is that one year ago, in December 2007, when I was listening to my Celtic Women CD constantly, over and over again, at my office and sometimes at home while our dossier was "traveling" to Russia. I remember how nervous I was and all the uncertainties and anxiety I was feeling towards our referral and what 2008 would bring to us... Now, when I listen to my Christmas Celtic Women CD I can't believe I am a mother now and that Mark and I are going to spend our first Christmas with our son Diego...

This year has been extraordinary, with a lot of blessings, challenges, and a lot of "news" and "firsts" for Diego and us... I am really excited about this Christmas, and also eager to improve our parenting skills... Maybe I can also become a "super-star mom" like my sister and consider welcoming a little sibling for Diego next year??!!?? We'll see...

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

So glad you are doing well. I enjoyed reading the update. How fun to be celebrating your first Christmas together and watching Diego experience so many firsts!! I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and enjoyed visiting your sister!!

Ron and Dinia said...

Any mom is with a toddler is super mom in my book. I was looking at the Christmas Celtic Woman CD in Walmart today. Think I will pick it up on my next trip.

Happy Holidays

Dinia

Shane & Marie said...

This has definitely been an amazing year for your family. We too our having a problem with B and the tree. Except he doesn't care about the ornaments, he just wants the candy canes (thankfully he has no idea that you can eat them). You are definitely not old! And you are a wonderful mom. Being a mom of a toddler is not easy. Trust me, I know. I have been thinking a lot about a sibling for Bryson lately though we just can't afford it right now, if ever. I hope Diego has a wonderful Christmas.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers