picture

picture

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

4 Months and a New Smile


Today is 4 month since we landed in Phoenix with Diego. Now that he walks, the dynamics have changed again; he likes his new "independence" and every once in a while has tried to push me away a bit so he can do his "own thing"... but then if he doesn't see me around, he comes back to find me!

We are still struggling a bit with the sleeping and eating... We modified a bit the last approach I mentioned in the last post, so now Mark and I together we put him to sleep at night. The night terrors have almost disappeared, but the waking between 1 am and 4 am still happens periodically... Mark's theory is that he wakes up because he is hungry. But at dinner time he wants to pull tantrums and then he eats just a little bit! We don't think the eating issues are related to sensorial things because he has tried a WIDE variety of textures and seem very curious about new food... I think it is more about attachment/control issues and maybe not having all his molars... So we are trying two new things... I read in FRUA about a "high calorie" pudding that has about 500 cal in 1/8 cup and the person doing this gave it to her kid just before bed time. You mix a pudding (about 1 cup), 7 oz of sweetened condensed milk, and half "container" (didn't say the size so I bought the smaller container) of cool whip. I made 1/4 of the recipe yesterday, just in case Diego didn't like it, and tried it at dinner. Diego loved it and we ended up giving him a little less than 1/4 cup. Well, he slept all night long, but it took double of time (about 40 minutes) to get him to fall asleep. So, today we will really try the 1/8 of cup! We will try this for 10 days, until his 18 months check up, hopefully we will see some decent weight gain!

The other thing we are doing is transition to a slow flow nipple for his bottle. At the beginning we made big cuts in the nipple, so he would drink easier, and after we finally found a milk he liked, we didn't want to mess with it. Well, I was wondering if he needs to develop more muscles in his mouth and if that would help him with chewing more solids. He can drink from a sippie cup, so we will be consistent in using it during dinner time too. So far yesterday he was fine with the slow nipple, so I'll let you all know if we see improvements.

And now the new smile SAD story... Last night I went to bed at 9:30 pm!! I felt exhausted and didn't even care about missing the CNN discussion about Barack Obama. Last few days were really really REALLY stressful. As you know Diego started walking at the beginning of this month. A week later, he wanted to "master" the running, but it hasn't gone smoothly. Last Monday and Wednesday, he fell and got fat lips with some little bleeding... Well, on Friday right before his nap he fell again (not his fault at all - I blame myself for this one), face first and ended up breaking one of this front teeth!!! It was horrible and unfortunately I didn't notice about the tooth until he woke up from his nap 3 hours later. He seemed OK, ate lunch, and didn't seem to be in discomfort. Bad enough, neither Mark nor I thought about finding a pediatric dentist on Friday afternoon or during the weekend, so yesterday morning, he finally got his tooth "fixed"; it doesn't look great, but not terrible... the prognosis wasn't great, and there is the risk that he may loose his tooth (and have a hole until the new tooth comes when he is 7 or 8), but now the only thing we can do is to monitor his tooth closely and be more CAREFUL! I didn't take any pictures during we weekend with his "scary" smile, but this is his new look:

So, after 4 months, I still feel we are total rookies with an almost 1 1/2 year old son and sometimes feel I am always behind in my reading and figuring out how to meet best his physical and mostly emotional needs... And even though sometimes I feel we are the black sheep among the CSS families, I hope sharing our struggles and experiences in this blog may still help someone out there in our similar situation.

7 comments:

ana said...

I'm surprised that Eli hasn't lost any teeth yet. He has fallen so many times! Little boys can be SO active!

I don't think you're a black sheep at all! It sounds to me like you are a wonderful mother. You are trying very hard to figure out what he needs, both physically and emotionally, and you are trying hard to meet those needs. This journey is very wonderful, but it is also exhausting, demanding, and challenging.

Congratulations on 4 months home!

Tiger & Kar said...

Oh my goodness Sinzi - - why in the world woud you feel like the black sheep? That is so far from how I, or any of us, view your family! Please, please don't think this ever again! You are a WONDERFUL mother, your little boy is absolutely precious, and Mark is a fantastic daddy. Norm & I have faced struggles and are exhausted at the end of each day! We don't live in Perfectville, trust me!!

Susan said...

Sinziana I think you are an incredible mother b/c you are willing to make so many sacrifices for Diego. Please, please, please call me if you want to talk. I think I may know a little how you feel. After teaching for 10 years and then all of a sudden I'm handed a toddler and becoming a stay at home mom, has proved to be quite the transition. There's more going on in our lives that I haven't blogged about but it makes for some stressful times for me. Please call if you want to vent, complain, cry, anything.

Oh and Artem falls constantly. I told my mom I don't know why sometimes he just falls and he is always smacking his lips and busting a lip. I'm surprised he hasn't lost a tooth, knock on wood.

Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing for Diego!

Becky and Keith said...

My dear girl... you are nowhere near a black sheep! You should be in this house for one day. :-) Andrew has been home not even a week and he has a bit old knot on his forehead from wacking his head on the dining room table. He busted open his lip tonight... on the dining room table. Do you see a pattern forming? You'd think I'd realize he should sit in a big person chair. :-) We are all muddling our way though some dark and crazy tunnel called parenthood trying to figure it out one step at a time. You, my dear, are doing awesome and are doing the best by your little guy. That little smile is the cutest and just think about the stories you'll get to tell his first girlfriend. :-) Hugs!

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

I'm so glad you are so honest on your blog. Believe me I think every parent feels like there are areas they could improve on. There are times I feel I could be more patient. It's all a learning experience on this journey of parenthood. I think you are a great parent!

Also for the slow nipples we had to do this with Kaden. He really does eat better with this. We did end up having a swallow test done that was recommended by the ENT that we go to. He is eating good again. When we got home he stopped eating as much but I think this had to do with it and we also found out he had reflux too.

Dede said...

I was confused by your "black sheep" comment. I don't think any of the CSS families view you that way. We all have our struggles with our new children. I don't have the time to blog about even all the good things going on much less the bad but trust me, we ALL have our bad days. Liam has already had been to the E.R. and I can't even count the number of scrapes and bumps. It's just all part of being little boys so don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing a great job with Diego!

Shane & Marie said...

He is such a doll. Time flies doesn't it? Poor thing about his tooth. I hope it doesn't fall out. I too am suprised Bryson hasn't knocked out a tooth as many times as he has fallen. Maybe it's boys? I hope his sleeping and eating improves.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers