picture

picture

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Merry Christmas and Big Hopes for the 2009

I can't believe the holidays are almost gone! I was so excited about our first Christmas with Diego, but the time really flew by! It was really nice to have Mark here with us so many days as he didn't work on December 26 or on January 2. Mark's parents came from Illinois and our friend Dhumal also joined us for Christmas Eve dinner. It was a nice dinner and even Diego seemed to enjoyed the food, staying in his seat almost for 40 minutes until he got bored and started running around... We decided to open presents on Christmas morning, so after Diego went to bed, we cleaned things around and went to bed too.

On Christmas morning Diego woke up around 8:30 am, so we could not make it for the first mass of the day and the second mass was around his nap, so we decided not to go. This is something that I really hope we change little by little; I really miss going to mass as a family! Mark's parents wanted to go to church so opening the presents was postponed until after his nap! We cheated a little and let him open couple, but surprising enough, Diego didn't get too excited about the whole thing of unwrapping presents... Funny enough, even though we and his grandparents spent quite a bit of time finding a tricycle small enough for him, the biggest hit was the new play dough we got for him! He also got some bulldozers, cars, books and a big Elmo. He also got TONS of clothes from couple of friends that continue being so generous with us (Thanks Cindy, Mark, Esteban, and Maribel)!

I guess we didn't get overboard with presents and we didn't even mention Santa Claus (in Ecuador - or at least in my family - Baby Jesus is the one who bring you presents if you are good). Next year I hope he will understand more about Christmas and Baby Jesus. His birthday is coming in February so we will get more presents then. Also, every week when the therapists come they bring some cool toys to help with his development, so I think he will continue getting "presents" every so often.

For New Year's Eve we did a little something different this year. We were invited to friend's house for Spanish Año Nuevo, which is/was at 4 pm MST. So it was a bit odd to just arrive when the sun was still high, and toast the Año Nuevo with champagne and 12 grapes. Then we had appetizers galore, a full dinner spread and dessert. Then came the dancing. A bunch a of Spaniards dancing all spanish style songs and then they switch to Johnny Cash - I know not why, but at least Diego was certainly having a blast. That evening Diego was a ladies man, and danced way more than Mark and I.




2008 was just such an special year for us; so many dreams became truth and we are so thankful for that! We met our baby, became parents, overcame so many attachment obstacles and have finally seen our son blossom! You know, I remember during the first months, I called my mom a lot and many times just to cry and vent about my fears and frustrations. And now, more than 9 months later, life is so different, we have learned so much about being parents and about Diego that I am not worried anymore with what to do to "entertain Diego and make him like me" or think about "when I will be able to go back to work"... I love being Diego's mom and I love to be able to take care of him day and night!

So after feeling soooo great this month, I was already talking to Mark and my family about our next child: our daughter! Mark as always he just lets me think all loud until I realize what is really the right thing to do... So no, we are not really ready for our daughter yet! This year we will focus on continue helping Diego with his development (speech, eating, sleeping by himself, being more independent), trying to get a little time for ourselves, finishing fixing our house (main focus will be the master bathroom), and learning about the foster care/adoption system in AZ. I also have some thoughts about a potential career change for me (for the far future), but there is tons to think about first... So I hope this Holiday Season re-energized you and that the 2009 brings wonderful things for you and your families!

4 comments:

Dede said...

Happy New Year! Diego has sure grown up this year and is as handsome as ever. Sounds like you all have things under control and are ready to move forward. Congrats on a successful year!

Shane & Marie said...

Happy 9 months Gotch day! It sounds like you had a very nice Christmas and New years. I know last month was so special for your family. Holidays are always great, but they are so much fun with kids. I hope 2009 brings your family many wonderful things. I too have been thinking a lot about a daughter.

Carey and Norman said...

It is amazing how so many of our lives changed in 2008. It brought our children home and also introduced us to one another.

Loved the new header and the New Year's photos. What a little cutie pie!

Becky and Keith said...

Wow, wow.. I think back to January of last year and how I was thinking about changing agencies and how you were my rock! How thankful I was for you then and how thankful I am for your posts now!! I love that you're thinking about a girl... can't wait to hear more! Happy 9 months, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers