picture

picture

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

18 Months Together!

Today is 1.5 years since we came home with Diego as our son. I still think of these type of milestones because we still continue to see changes in his relationship with us; and the changes are for good!

Our once little, shy, scared, and quiet baby has turned into a friendly, charming, loud, and confident boy. He delights everybody with his smile and cuteness, and makes mama and dada very proud! Lately, with going to preschool, he is embarking in new territories as he is not with me all the time, and even though he is still crying at every drop off, when I pick him up he tells me he had fun with a huge smile. It has been hard for me to leave him at school when he is crying and asking me to go home with me, but I really hope this will help him sink in his head that mama will always be back for him!

To some extend I also feel that the little separation from me has helped him maybe appreciate our time together! This months he missed two days of school because he got sick and then we were out of town, so last Thursday was really tough for him. After I picked him up he told me many many times during the day that he missed me and that he loves me without me asking or saying anything! He is also coming to us to hug us more and to tell us that he loves us; while he used to say "I love you" when we said "I love you" to him first!

Last week we visited my sister in Vancouver, BC, and had a wonderful time. My little nephew Camilo turned 1 and Diego had a blast at the party. It was quite nice to see Diego's curiosity towards Camilo; it started looking like Diego didn't want anything with him. Diego would take his toys and walk away telling me the toy was HIS. After few days Diego started asking for Camilo to "run with him" at the park and wanting to check on his cousin during his naps. I hope this is a good sign that my sweet boy will adjust OK once his little sister comes home sometime next year. It was also nice to see how much his liked my sister (his aunty) and his uncle!

I can't believe our son have been with us for a year and a half. I remember how little he was and how afraid he was of us. Now, when I lay next to him when he falls asleep I am just amazed on how "big" my boy is; he is definitely no longer affraid of us. Diego was never a cuddler in the mornings, now he opens his sweet eyes, looks at me or at Mark, hops on top of any of us and gives hug full of happiness!!

I know we still have our tough moments as any family with a toddler has, but as a stranger told me at the airport when I was really tired and Diego was not listening to me "He is just a boy and he looks full of joy!". Enjoy the pictures!

having breakfast with his goggles

playing around with our dog's food

just being sweet!

at the park with his wheels

at the end of his "big boy" shower (he wants no baths!)
peaking through his "Go Diego Go" Rescue center!

3 comments:

ana said...

Congratulations on 18 months!!! It's almost been that long for us. He is so adorable, and he looks so happy in those pictures!

Hope things are going well for adoption #2!

Susan said...

I remember talking to you on the phone last year and you said all you wanted him to do was call you mama and now look. He loves you guys so much and you can tell how happy he is. You two are wonderful parents and what a blessing you are to each other.

Carey and Norman said...

Happy 18 months! We hit our 18 month anniversary on Sept. 3rd from Gotcha Day and on the 12th being home. Amazing how quickly time flies by!!

Any news on the adoption front?

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers