Diego only ate half of his snack (I have to send his snacks with his gluten free/casein free stuff, but at least I found a bakery that makes yummy stuff that he can eat - today I sent him with a lemon muffin and strawberries), and even before we got in the car he told me that "he needs (we think he means wants, but he always says need) to eat. After eating I put him down for his nap, but after only 30 minutes sleeping he woke up calling me, so I had to lay down with him (well, actually he was sleeping on top of my chest or in my arm pit) for the rest of his nap, which was another 1.5 hours. Yes, me sweet boy needed some company for sleeping - one of his ways to show anxiety.
The rest of the day went fine and I asked him few times to tell me what he did at school, if he liked it, if the teachers were nice to him and these are few of the things he said:
* "Bye-bye mommy and then mommy left!" - He even gave me a stern look; then I quickly responded that mommy had to leave, but went back for him later!
* "Kids were crying when daddies or mommies left" - Diego really gets nervious when he sees or hears babies/kids crying.
* "There were lots of kids at the playground"- and he liked that.
* "I cryed mommy, mommy, and mommy was not here. Teacher changed my diaper" - I think it happened close to pick-up time, because his eyes and nose were still a bit red and his diaper was totaly dry.
* "Diaper full of pee-pee. Teacher changed my diaper" - I sent Diego with two diapers changes and they only changed him once. I need to ask them when they usually change the kids so Diego doesn't have to feel uncomfortable with a heavy diaper.
But in overall, I think Diego did OK for being the first time he spends 2.5 hours without his parents in a different place from his home. He has said he had fun, but also said many times that "mommy wasn't there" or "mommy left". I know he will learn a ton and that this is a positive experience for him; I just hope everyone (him and US) can adjust to this soon! Well, let's see how he sleeps tonight.

3 comments:
What a big day for Diego! Sounds like he did great. Well done Diego and Mom:)
Oh Sinzi, his comments would kill me. Owen is anxious about starting school and I've seen it mostly at nap and bedtime..."Why can't Mommy stay here and sleep WITH me?" ...and when we talk about school..."Why do I have to stay all by myself and miss my Mommy?" It's so hard to hear. I am not looking forward to next week! Sounds like Diego did great though which is GREAT!!!!!! :)
The first day of Preschool...aah! Seems like just yesterday we were in Podolsk picking up our cuties. Diego sounds like he did really well and I am sure he is going to have so much fun. Love the pictures!
I still have an anxious kindergartner coming into our bed at night - its all an adjustment.
Post a Comment