picture

picture

Monday, August 31, 2009

I can not believe it!

Tomorrow will be Diego's first day at preschool. Yes, our little boy will be going two days/week, from 9 am to 11:30 am. Last week was the open house, and the teachers and I were pretty happy to see how he got in the room and right away started exploring and playing by himself. I had already explained one of the teachers Diego's story, all our work towards attachment, and our concerns regarding his adjustment to school. But it was just funny, as I was talking with the teacher, Diego was just having a blast and took him about 10 minutes to look up, find me and ask me to go over and play with him. Then the other teacher showed him how to make a tornado with two bottles with water and he was so interested on it, it was so nice to watch him! Then he tried himself and started saying "Lady, look, look!!".


After giving a quick good-bye hug to one of his teachers we headed outside to the playground. It was hot, hot, hot, but Diego went right away to the shaded area with sprinklers where all the trucks and sand stuff were. After almost 30 minutes there I had to drag him inside and then we went home. I kept telling him that this is his school and that next week he would come to play and have a good time, that I wouldn't be there during school, but that after his playing I WILL be back for him.

His class has 11 kids; tomorrow there will be only half of the class and on Thursday will be the whole class. We have been reading several books about going to school and talking about, so I hope he is ready for it. Today during his session with his developmental specialist (part of the early intervention services he still receives) his therapist kept making comments about how well he is listening and completing tasks, about his great vocabulary and communication and in general how amazing Diego's improvement has been since she started working with him (January 2009). She thinks he is sooooo ready to go to school and have a great time. I just can not describe in many words how proud I am of Diego!

So, I already have his little bag ready, his clothes picked for tomorrow and now I need to head to bed. I hope tomorrow morning will go as smooth as possible and that my sweet boy won't cry too much when he realizes I am not there with him.

Tomorrow, I promise to give you an update on his first day at school! Good night!

1 comment:

Dede said...

Way to go Diego! I hope he had a great first day.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers