picture

picture

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Surviving the Heat!

July was truly a challenge for us. With a record for the number of days with temperature above 110 degrees I really had a hard time finding cool stuff to do and "keeping" it cool... My boy, who is now 2.5 years old, kept pushing and pushing limits and gave us some tough times... It went from responding NO to anything, to hitting, to kicking while diaper changing, to laughing during time outs... So after checking few books and getting input from few people I armed myself with as much patience as needed and tackle new strategies with him... So far I think things are working a bit better, but Oh My, I know we will need to continue helping him to learn to be out of trouble!

Something we finally did that has helped a lot was to become members of the Phoenix children's Museum, the best $100 we have spent in a while. Diego and I have already been there 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and every time Diego has had a blast! 2 more times and the membership is already paid off! Since Diego is still not playing by himself too much, going to the museum is a nice break for me; I just sit back while he is exploring the different areas.

In about 3 weeks Diego will start going to preschool two mornings per week. Already, one of his therapists asked me what will I do with that little time by myself... I don't know, maybe the first few weeks I may start with decluttering our closets... I have already started doing that by going through Diego's old clothes, separating wha I am going to give to my sister for her 11 month old son and what looks unisex enough to be used by our daugther. Actually, I already had three drawers of clothes my sister gave from my 4 year old niece and last week we got three bags of clothes from a friend who works with Mark with girl clothes sizes 12 to 24 months!!! So while I am trying to empty some closets, I am already filling them up!

The transition from disposible to cloth diaper was pretty smooth. At the end we bought 15 one size, synthetic pocket (I wanted organic cotton, but they only had pink ones at the store) diapers; twelve Happy Heinys and three BumGenius, so every other night I have to get them washed. The diapers make my skinny son look kind of funny, as if he had a super booty! Even though Diego tells me every time he needs to poop, and when he plays with his toys he makes them "go potty, wash and dry hands, and flush the toilet (his favorite part)" only sits on the potty for few seconds and only because he wants to flush the real toilet afterwards! I am hoping that once he starts going to school, the teachers there will help me getting him potty trained... It would be really nice to have Diego out of diapers before his sister comes...

I have been touching base with CSS every 2 or 3 weeks, mostly to check if there is any change with the number of families ahead of us who are also adopting girls. I was glad to find out that few weeks ago one family traveled to Moscow and accepted the referral of a baby girl. Then Kaluga MOE will be on vacation until September and in mid-September there is a family going there to meet their referral... So things are moving forward for other families, which is good news for everybody! At this pace I think we will be lucky if we get to travel by this winter, but we are OK with it... We will continue getting our house fixed here and there and maybe even going to Ecuador for Christmas... We'll see...

And now some pictures: Diego and Daddy getting ready to tackle a new project in the garage, at the children's museum wind pipes, and posing with mommy and daddy!








No comments:

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers