Our lives have totally changed, and sometimes (like today) when Mark and I have dinner, and Diego is in his exerciser looking over at us, I still can not believe we have a little dude as a son! As Carol mentioned in one email "Life as we knew it is gone!". Well, not totally gone, but at least now, the first and last thought of everyday is Diego!
I have to admit, the first weeks (the one in Moscow and the first one in Phoenix) were very tough for us... I envy a bit some the parents that have careers like pre-school teachers, or speech therapist, or something related to kids... Sometimes I felt totally out of shape in regards to what life with a baby would be or what babies want/need - at least I knew how to change a diaper! But things have definitely got better!
Some improvements
Diego is:
- enjoying taking baths
- not scared of our dog Lulu anymore
- drinking more than 10 oz (per day!) of liquid from the bottle
- not screaming during changing diaper or clothes
- loving when we applied lotion after bath
- loving the banana pudding for his afternoon snack (from Beech Nut - 160 calories, 1 gr protein, 4% iron - we really want him to gain weight!)
- getting used to the new routine (wake up at 6:30 am and go to be no later than 10 pm)
- OK with not turning the TV or watching a movie in a month (just catch glimpses of the Suns)
- drinking more beer (not really, but the first days we did!)
- Spend several hours/day with Diego on the baby carrier, facing me, so we promote eye contact and attachment (forget the list of play ideas of the previous post- it's all about attachment right now)
- Continue trying to find ways to make him eat (I also envy a bit the parents of kids who eat everything) and increase his iron (he was a bit low and does not like the formulas we have tried!)
The second month will also be kind of crucial to determine if I will be able to go back to work... Yes, we are already talking about it... Right now Mark doesn't think I will... We'll see...
I hope I don't sound like everything is hard as a parent! We have had a lot of great moments, like introducing him to chocolate cookies (so he can start getting used to little solids in his mouth), or accepting and drinking his bottle after waking up and before bed with us looking at his beautiful eyes (not all the time, but he goes back and forth between Mark's eyes (he is standing) and my eyes (the feeder, sitting), having a bath in his plastic duck (Diego is small so we prefer to use this as a tub for a while), swinging in his new patio swing, shooting hoops with his daddy, and others...
And now, pictures!




7 comments:
I do not think that you made it sound all bad. I think you are right about the ear infection and the waking up at night. I got an ear infection last year and WOW was that painful. Once that is cleared up you may find that Diego eats from the bottle even better.
Good Luck,
Joy
Not putting words in your mouth, Sinzi, but I think I know what you're saying...
More than once I'm lamented the loss of some of my personal freedoms - and felt guilty as hell for that - but really, I think it's mostly because we've had such a chaotic time since we've been home and it's tough making so many adjustments all at once.
This "parenting" thing is far harder than I anticipated. It's one thing to read about it, but it's so different once you're down here in the trenches. Some days it can be so incredibly tiring, but then I have priceless mornings like today that just make me smile all day!
Anyway, it's not always easy, but I sure don't regret a second of this!
Parenting is not hard, but it is definitely an adjustment to go from no children to one that is mobile. There isn't much free time, but in my opinion, it's worth it! It is very overwhelming at first, especially as a first time parent, but each day does get easier. Hopefully his ear infection clears up so that he can sleep better.
Shane, I guess that's kinda what I was saying... It has been a bit overwhelming, but just as you said, it gets easier day by day. But it's absolutely rewarding!
I love you honestly and you have not made it seem horrible! Don't you worry! I LOVE the picture of Diego in the tub with the "D" stuck to him - made me giggle out loud. Love the posts and enjoy your next month - sounds like fun!
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.
Hi there, I am just catching up. Thanks for posting the ups and downs of the first month. It seems like you are doing the right things. I know its a big change. He is so sweet. I have to go back to refresh myself as to how old he is and how tiny he is. I think he's about a year right? I am writing down the tip about the pudding, high calorie... good thing! Great pictures!
Post a Comment