I haven't posted anything for a while, so I figure I update you in what's up with us...
After gaining 1 pound in the first month with us, today we found out that in the last month, Diego only gained 2 oz!!! Two weeks ago, when he had this hernia surgery, his weight reflected a gain of half a pound from the previous 2 weeks, but it seems to be he lost 6 oz in the last two weeks!!! I am pretty disappointed and frustrated... It kind of matches the time when the grandpas were here and Diego started eating with us and wanting to eat our food and lately wanting to take his own spoon and "feed" himself (no food coming from his spoon has entered his mouth yet!)... I know, it is part of his development and learning new skills, but I don't think he can afford losing any weight... Oh My...
Diego is still VERY active and cruises around with his SUPER fast crawling and he still grab both or lately just one hand to help him walk! Last weekend, when the 100 F finally hit Phoenix, we got into the pool and he really enjoyed splashing while being carried by Mark or myself... We also bought a little pool for the patio, so during the week, he can cool off and continue splashing more... We also bought him a little basketball hoop (the smallest setting is just right for him) and a small slide from a garage sale... It is just too cute when he takes the tennis ball from our dog and "dunks the ball"! So yes, he burns calories like crazy (and makes me burn calories because I am always with him!)!!!
He also had his hearing test at the Children's Hospital (suggested by the Early Intervention people) and the results showed that his hearing is perfect! The day after the test, the early Intervention speech and occupational therapist came for his evaluation. He missed part of his nap earlier and was kind of sleepy, but his curiosity for these ladies kept him awake and apparently he did pretty well!! Even I was surprised with some skills that I never saw him doing before!! At the end, both indicated that Diego was a bit delayed but he would probably not qualify for the program... Part of me was really happy, because that meant that maybe I will be enough to help him learn things, but at the same time, it would have been nice to have some therapist coming every once in a while...
Ah, talking about therapist, I REALLY like the attachment therapist we have seen in two occasions. Originally, we decided to go because Diego's sleeping was pretty bad and we wanted to figure out the best way to help him "relax" so he could rest at night without night terrors... But, after the ear infections disappeared, the sleeping improved A LOT! Last week was our 2 months since gotcha day (Yeah!), but it was definitely a rough week! It also meant that I only have 4 more weeks to return to work or just quite and become a stay home mom... So, Monday, first thing in the morning, I called the therapist for an "emergency" session... Luckily, she had a cancellation and we were able to see her on Tuesday morning. The three of us came, and was the first time she met Diego and was able to observe him interacting with us while we asked her a lot of questions about certain behaviors that were concerning us... Well, bunch of the behaviors ended up being normal for a toddler, and even though our sweet Diego is definitely a strong-willed little dude, she didn't indicate anything alarming... It was actually really nice, how she pointed out couple of times that we as a couple also have to take care of ourselves... Yes, we have Diego to care for, but if we are in bad shape he will feel it and suffer too! At the end of the meeting, she told us she observed many very positive interactions and good eye contact between Diego and us!!! So, we are on the right track!!!
It's late, but I promised to post pics of Diego's first visit to the zoo, playing in the pool, and others really soon.

1 comment:
It sounds like things are going pretty well. It's so good to hear about how Diego is doing and what he is up to and especially your experience with the attachment therapist. It's means a lot you to share it with us, especially since we just got our little one home and we can learn from your experiences. Helps to know we are having similar things to deal with, we are not alone. Take care!
Post a Comment