picture

picture

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Manic Moscow Motorways

[Mark:]
Here's a prep course for those of you who are getting ready to experience driving or at least being driven in Moscow for the first time. The streets are set up as a spoke and ring system, and each segment of the ring is new street. There are no regular street signs on poles at intersections, but you can catch the street name written on the corners of some buildings.

Despite the presence of 6-lane motorways and a metro used by millions each day, millions of cars and a wacky street layout made for not-so-direct routing to our destination.
As the crow flies does not apply here.
For example, here is how we started each day in Moscow. Our apartment is the red star, and we at least wanted to go east (towards the red box). The scarcity of left turns led to the following path:
  1. Turn right (west) [green arrow].
  2. Cross over Moscow River bridge to Ukrainia Hotel [green arrow].
  3. Make a right-hand 180 at the U [green arrow].
  4. Make a second right-hand 180 under the bridge [purple arrow].
  5. Make a third right-hand 180 back onto the bridge (and see the U again) [orange arrow].
  6. Cross back over bridge and past intersection that's a two-minute walk from the red star [orange arrow].
  7. Proceed east [long orange arrow].
I think even a GPS nav system would be dizzy and the automated voice command would get muted right away. CLICK on image below to open i a new window and the see the animated GIF.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Don't forget to add that street lines are only a suggestion and one doesn't necessarily need to stay within them. Also, parking on a sidewalk is legal and expected. Moscow was not fun to drive in AT ALL.

Dede said...

Great map showing the crazy driving there! I always felt like we were going in circles and never could get a sense of direction there.

ana said...

I just showed your animated gif to R, and he died laughing! It is hilarious to seen it mapped out like that! And I'm with Dede. I never did fully figure out where we were or how we got there.

Becky and Keith said...

Ohhh goodness! I cannot wait! I'll have to show this to Keith to prepare him. Dramamine anyone??

Rob said...

This is exactly why "car time" makes for great nap time! Seriously, we got more quality rest on Trip #1 in the car than we did in the apartment bed!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers