picture

picture

Saturday, January 23, 2010

From The Storm to Kaluga

So, do you want to know if we have our visas ready to travel? Yes! As I mentioned in the previous post, last week we arranged to have Go To Russia to take care of our visa application and everything got submitted on Monday to the Consulate in San Francisco. Every day I touched base with them regarding the visas and yesterday I got the answer I wanted "yes, we have them and everything looks good". Then it was the part that I didn't want to hear "but due to bad weather FedEx may have some delays"!!!! WHAT!!!

They offered the option of sending the package via United Cargo, for an additional $150, but with bad weather in San Francisco, Memphis (FedEx hub) and even Phoenix, we thought it was the safest way to get our passports before our flights on Saturday. So we asked them to proceed with the United Cargo and few hours later I had the scanned receipt and air bill for our stuff. If I may say, I was very impressed with Go To Russia's commitment to get things done and help us as much as we needed!

And then, after 4 days of on and off rain, we got hit by a huge storm and at 9 pm we lost power. We got power back at 3:00 am so I finally checked if the flight arrived in Phoenix recently (I was awake since 2 am). The flight arrived at 1 am and Mark picked it up around 9 am!!! Hurray!!

I have to admit that even with all this visa drama and travel delays, it was good to be home this week. We all needed time to physically feel better, to get things organized (and cleaned!) in the house and to think about where we are as a family and the changes we are up to. I wish there was more time during the day to do the thinking, because I have found myself waking up at night a lot and I don't think I am rested enough for this trip and the week we have ahead of us...

I was also feeling very uneasy and guilty about leaving Diego for 8 days! I know there is no way around this, so I have decided to just either think that he will be great (which he will after few days) or just don't torture myself! I believe Diego is a survivor, he survived unbelievable stuff in Russia and he became an awesome kid after that; so I trust and pray the time without us won't be something he can not overcome.

I am a bit fearful of the weather in Kaluga. It seems it will be about 20 degrees colder than when we were there two years ago. We are going to leave the 60 degrees of our desert for a 5 degrees or less in Kaluga!

So now we are here at the airport. Even when our flight leaves at 10 am we decided to head to the airport at 6:30 am. Diego is not good at good-byes and we decided to leave him tucked in our bed with his grandpas by his side!! Yeap, my in-laws are troopers and I am really appreciative and grateful for all what they have done and do for my Diego.

Next post will be from Kaluga! Dasvedanya!

4 comments:

Heather & Jason said...

Wishing you a PERFECT trip. God's richest blessings to you all!

Susan said...

So good to hear the visas worked out. Praying for smooth sailing for you the rest of the trip.

Tiger & Kar said...

Reading this post, I remembered meeting you oh so briefly in the SVO airport in March 08. Norm & I were heading home from trip 1 and you, Mark & little Diego were heading home to start your new lives as a family of 3. I am so happy for your entire family. Blessings to you as you meet this precious little girl this week. Can't wait to read the next post!

Safe travels,
Karyn

Russ Fitzgerald said...

Praying for you to have a smooth and easy flight to Kaluga! Can't wait to hear about your daughter!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers