1. We boarded our first plane (from Phoenix to Houston) on time at 10 am and after a while we noticed two mechanics taking apart a piece of the wing and making bunch of calls... Yeah, bad sign, we deplaned few minutes later.
2. US Airways found another plane and we start boarding at 11:30 am; when the plane is half full boarding stopped because the front part of the plane smells like burnt rubber (we were in the back so we didn't smell anything). Two mechanics and the pilot start walking around and at 12:00 pm determined it was the AC system bringing that air inside the plane but nothing was wrong with the plane. We finally departed at 12:30 pm.
3. Now, we originally had 3:45 hours between plane 1 and plane 2 (from Houston to Moscow), so in theory we still had 1:15 hours to make it, so we were not too worried. Well, we landed in terminal A and after taking a bus shuttle from A to B, then a train from B to D, and then some fast walking we made it with 45 minutes to spare... Yeah!
4. Well, the service of Singapore airlines looked very promising, but we couldn't really enjoy it too much because we experienced HORRIBLE TURBULENCE on and off for the first about 1.5 hours of the flight!!! They had just servef beverages and then suddenly our beers were flying in the air (Mark's landed on his pants) and all I coulf think was the scenes from Lost before the plane splits in two! I was also thinking that Diego would have freaked out if he was there - I was freaked out! And then it came the nausea, so the little bag in front of the seat was "handy" - YUCK!
5. We finally landed fine and we breezed through passport control (even though I had my previous visas from 2 years ago in the same passport) and I was only asked where I was coming from and I just said "Houston ". Only a small portion of the passengers were staying in Moscow (the rest were continuing to Singapore) so we thought getting the baggage would take no time... Well, our only checked luggage never made it, so a nice airport officer took us to an office to file a claim. They will try to find it within the next 3 days and call and delivered to Svetlana if they find it. We are not attached to anything there, but it would be nice to get it back. Luckily we packed pretty decently, so we have clothes for about 3 days, so we just need to repeat some and buy some underwear here.
6. At that time I was laughing and joking that I would not be surprised at all if we got a flat tire in the way to Kaluga! But you know what? The 3 hours to Kaluga had no bumps at all, even when I thought I had read the road conditions were not good... We made it to the hotel, we met Nadia and Margarita (the boss in Kaluga), got some groceries, got the modem (and it works, which we thought would be a pain) and got settled.
Tomorrow Nadia will call around noon and we will head to the baby home at 1 pm and Dr Togoyev will meet us there. Apparently we will go to the Ministry on Tuesday. We will finally meet our girl!!! Margarita mentioned that she had seen her last week and that she was very active!! Sounds good to us - another active kid to keep up with Diego!!!
So we are good; feeling a bit tired and missing Diego a TON! Let's hope things go smoother tomorrow and that our Diego will be closer to have his sister (and his parents back - he is missing us too!)!

9 comments:
I've been blog stalking you!!! So glad you guys got there safely, despite the craziness of getting there. Best of luck tomorrow at the ministry and meeting your girl!
I'm a blog stalker as well! What an experience you had getting to Kaluga! I'm so happy you made it there safely. Good luck with everything tomorrow. Can't wait to read all about it!
Karyn
So glad to hear you are there! Hope tomorrow goes smoothly. Can't wait to hear about your daughter!
What a crazy trip!! You guys have really been through things lately. I hope tomorrow goes wonderful for you when you meet your daughter.
OH, so GLAD GLAD GLAD to hear that you're there and you'll see her TOMORROW! Prayers from here!
Sorry it was so crazy getting there--but you're there, and that's what important!
Much love to all the Kaluga crew from us---and many many good wishes for you all!
What an ordeal you have been through with your travels. It will all be worth it though when you meet your baby girl. Can't wait to hear about the first meeting!
Whew!! Thank Heaven you made it safely!! I was thinking about you today when we were getting our gear together to travel. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear about your beautiful little girl. My prayers will be with you.
Yikes - that is a bumpy ride! Hoping the rest of the trip is smooth sailing. Can't wait to hear all about your daughter-to-be! Get some rest and ENJOY!
So happy you made it there in one piece. Best wishes on your meeting tommorrow!
Post a Comment