picture

picture

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Gotcha Day

...will be on Sunday! Yeah, apparently a doctor is required when a baby leaves the baby home, and no doctor was going to be around on Saturday, so a little change in our plans! It's OK, I guess. At least we will have more time to get settled, organize Diego's things and maybe rest... Or, we may do a quick trip to the crafts market we went last time! My mother keeps asking me to go again and get her a nativity scene that we bought for us... We'll see...

Today was my last day at the office... And funny enough, I had to "sign" an agreement saying that I will be back no later than June 16th... I will go back to work 30 hours/week, going to the office twice a week. Not too bad, uhm? I should not complain though, my bosses and everyone around have been just so kind and great to us...

Right now I am going through last minute cleaning duties and finishing packing! Yeah, we thought the umbrella stroller we are bringing was going to fit in a duffel bag, but it didn't... we put bubble wrap around it for protection and then put it inside couple of garbage bags... Mark did a nice job packing and labeling it... Hopefully it will make it...

Today I got a little emotional at the office. I have a coworker, Nadia, who is from Russia. So I asked her to translate what one of the care givers (I think Diego's favorite one) wrote in his birthday card. I thought it was a poem from a Russian author or something like that... Well, when Nadia started reading it out loud in Russian out and suddenly she paused and started crying. The caregiver wrote this heartfelt message, telling Diego that his life was going to change, that he was going to be far away from her, and even though right now he is small and a little weak, his "mamma and pappa" are going to take care of him and be part of his life forever. She was wishing him a lifetime of happiness and love with his new family. Then Nadia paused again, looked straight to my eyes, and said :" Russians write from the heart and she truly felt that you guys were the right parents for Diego to love and take care of him." Then, I started crying!

I think I am getting really mushy, but it is quite overwhelming what I am feeling right now. A dream that at some point I thought was never going to happen is about to become a reality... This journey to our Diego has changed our lives in so many ways and we will never be able to thank enough for this opportunity... we learned to be able to change our plans and try to be flexible, to be more patient, to open our heart more, and to trust in God.

See you in 2 days, our sweet Diego!

5 comments:

Tiger & Kar said...

Now I'm crying! What a sweet, sweet card from Diego's caregiver! I'm so happy Diego is finally coming home.

My husband and I leave tomorrow for our first trip. We're going to meet up with Nick, Beth & Jaxon hopefully on Sunday, and perhaps more throughout the week. Hopefully we can meet you guys as well!

ana said...

What she wrote in his card is just wonderful. I'm so thrilled for you that you're about to have Diego with you forever!

Have a very safe trip back to Moscow!

the Horvaths said...

It is quite overwhelming to see how God works in our lives. Thank you for sharing that special note from the caregiver. That is one thing I have found here, the caregivers are very sweet and really do love the children. I am so happy your Gotcha day will be very soon. Have a great trip and a wonderful reunion!

Becky and Keith said...

It sounds like Diego is so loved and that will make bonding and attaching that much easier. I hope you're having a safe trip! Only 2 more days until we get to see pictures! :-)

Joy said...

How cool that your friend can read this for you. What a shame that you where not able to get a second card and have her re-write the messages in English in the same spots so that you could put the 2 cards together for your memory box.
Joy

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers