picture

picture

Sunday, March 30, 2008

One week with Diego

Several times I have tried to post something... But either Diego woke up earlier than expected or I was exhausted and went to bed... In some ways this week felt long, but at the same time I wish I had more time to get few things done!

I have debated how much I want to share about our experience as new parents of Diego... I remember during our adoption process that I enjoyed reading blogs of couples going through the same process as us, but I didn't pay attention to the blogs of couples with their babies at home... I wish I did!! I follow Melissa's blog now, and this week I had to go back to her July or August 2007 posts to read about their first days as parents... I was happy to see some similarities between Ilya and our Diego and few of their initial concerns/struggles...

Don't get me wrong, watching Diego everyday learning few things and smiling and lifting his arms towards me so I can carry him are just awesome moments, but at the same time to some extent I feel Mark and I were pretty naive and unprepared for parenthood!

To start, Diego has SO MUCH ENERGY and he can be VERY LOUD!! During our visits at Podolsk we noticed he liked certain games and that he can crawl pretty fast and never made a sound, but Oh My, sometimes it looks like a different boy!!! During our flight back we talked a little with a new dad bringing his boy home, and he asked us if we gave Benadryl to Diego for the flight. We didn't and Diego was not too bad, but he did and his baby was SUUUUUUPER calm... He also mentioned that some orphanages give benadryl to some kids to keep them calm... Hum... I wondered if our Diego was one of those kids!!!

Also we are still playing around with his food likes and dislikes. So far he like peas, corn/squash, apple juice, prune juice and yogurt. He used to like banana, strawberry, and oatmeal, but not so much lately... We are buying the organic Earth Land jars, but we are still playing around... Oh, on the side, for the trip 3 we bought the food jars in Moscow, and the ones with little chicken and stuff were almost $3 while here they are less than a buck! So, if I did it again, I would bring few jars from US...

Diego had his first doctor appointment on Thursday, which ended up being a crazy day! I was going to stop by my office to show off Diego (I debated a little, because I was not sure how he would "behave"), but when we finally got into the car, my Prius didn't start!!! I wasn't sure it was the electric battery or what that was not working, so I had to call Mark (who was getting ready for a meeting) to ask him to drop everything and pick us up! Then at the doctor office we had to wait for while, and while all the other parents with theirs kids seem pretty calm and dandy, our Diego was all talky-talky and moving a lot! When we were finally in, Diego actually behaved very nicely with the nurse who measured and weighted him. Diego is now 29.5 inches and 20 lb 2 oz. For 13.5 months he is in the charts, but in the low percentiles... Oh well...

Then the doctor came and we talked a little about this past medical history; he listened to his lungs for a while and said they sound really good (Diego had bronchitis in February and had a big time runny nose in Moscow). He checked his hernia and gave us a referral for a surgeon. He checked his ears and then found that both ears had infections! Poor thing, probably as a result of his recurring colds/bronchitis. So, antibiotics for 10 days. We talked a little more about our plan for his immunizations (he has none) and the doctor gave few recommendations... We asked him few questions about his eating habits, certain behaviors and asked for suggestions... A lot of the stuff we were a little concerned, the doctor told us it was typical toddler behavior! He gave us the order for the lab and we will see him again in a month.

Yesterday it was Mark's 32nd birthday, so we invited over few friends. Once again we debated wether we should invite people over or not... on one side we were both exhausted, we had to clean the house a bit, and we just didn't know how Diego would feel with strangers around... but on the other side, I didn't want Mark to feel I was forgetting about him and making our life all about Diego... So I emailed 8 friends and everyone was actually waiting for us to invite them over because they were also dying to meet Diego. To make this short, Diego really seem to enjoy meeting people... Everyone wanted to carry him for a bit, and he let them, but if Mark or I look or talked to him a little, he would extend this arms towards us wanting to go to mommy or daddy! We had pizza, cake, Diego had his dinner and people left around 8 pm (I know early, our parties used to start at 8 pm!!). And when everyone left, then Diego started screaming and crying!!!

I keep repeating myself to be sensitive about all the changes Diego is facing... I keep saying to myself and to my family and friends that this initial time is all about developing trust and bonding... But sometimes it feels like there is a very thin line between nurturing trust and spoiling your baby and creating a little monster! I know, I know, I sound horrible... I am hoping once the ear infections are gone and Diego is totally settled with a schedule (he has one, but he keeps monkeying around with it!) our lives can feel more "normal" and on track...

And now, I leave you with few pics!




6 comments:

Beth said...

The first few months are never easy - first time parents or not! Diego sounds like he is doing so well though - typical toddler. I can not believe how much he has changed since Podolsk - he looks great! Enjoy! And happy birthday to Mark!

Dede said...

This sounds all familiar! We are still trying to get in a groove with Liam but trust me, it does get easier. We never turned the tv on for the first month we were home and still have to stay on a pretty strict schedule to get everything done. You will adjust to one another and once he settles into a routine it will make things easier. Hang in there! Happy Birthday Mark!!!

Rob said...

Yeah, it's actually very comforting knowing that you guys are having a pretty similar experience to ours. I love, love, love Liam, and I knew there'd be adjustments but I was not prepared for just how much. We had read and studied and thought we had a grip on what was to come. How wrong we were!

I didn't have much of a clue for how much of a chore it is to gear up for leaving the house in the mornings. I was totally unprepared for how difficult it can be to get mundane household stuff done with a curious toddler underfoot who desperately wants to be helpful.

But I can tell you that routine is the key to sanity for us. Now that we're getting settled into a solid routine, it breaks things up into much more manageable chunks. Only problem is that by 8:30 when Liam is down for the night, we're so wiped out that we have trouble staying awake to get things done. But it is getting easier!

The other thing I continue to be amazed by is just how much different a spin being a parent puts on things. The perspective from this side of the fence is just so different! After having lost my Mom a few weeks ago, I've really become all the more mindful of the difficulties she faced and sacrifices she made. I mean, here we (Dede & I) are challenged by just 1 little guy and my Mom raised 3 of us mostly solo. Quite humbling...

Anyway, hang in there guys! You're not alone!

Happy b-day, Mark!

Becky and Keith said...

Love, love, love your post! And love everyone's comments! Diego is looking like such a happy little guy!! I love the pictures and his smiling face - such a cutie! Happy Birthday Mark!! :-)

Joy said...

What a cutie! I bet those ears are feeling better now that he is on the medication for them.
Joy

the Horvaths said...

First, I want to say how extremely cute Diego is. Those are great pictures. Hang in there. You all must be tired and it is a huge life change. It seems like you are rolling with it just fine. Thanks for posting some of the challenges, it helps to be prepared. Keep being brave and trust in yourselves, it sounds like you are doing the right stuff and seeing the smiling Diego, he must think so too!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers