picture

picture

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A lovely day until...

we got our camera stolen!! The weather wasn't too bad so we ventured to Old Arbat to get some souvenirs and have dinner at Mou-Mou. We had told Dede and Beth about our dinner plans, but after waiting for them a little while we decided to get in and get our food. Ordering the food was kind of challenging, but we made it alright and the food was OK tasting. Then, suddenly, Doug and Kathy (other CSS PAPs) showed up and joined us. We really enjoyed taking to them and then each got their cameras out to "brag" about our beautiful sons-to-be... And that was one of the mistakes, we lowered our guards, we got too comfy, someone saw us smiling a lot (which revealed that we are not Russians) and somehow between that time and standing up to leave, someone got their hand into Mark's coat (that he was sitting on it) and stole our camera...

I saw a guard inside the restaurant, so we went to tell him about it and luckily a nice Russian girl heard us struggling with the language and started translating to the guard... He couldn't do anything, and offered to call the police, but we didn't see a point for that... It was just a camera... What really bugged me is that we didn't have a chance to download the pictures we took for our last visit to Diego... There were some great pictures of the three of us, and the picture that was supposed to become his "passport" picture... Oh well, we brought a back-up camera just in case, so we will use that for the next days...

I went back and forth debating to post about this... We were mad at ourselves for making the mistake of lowering our guards... But at the same time, I hope this does not happen to any of you. We feel pretty uneasy now, and we will probably not go out to places where a lot of people gather (restaurants, Starbucks, metros) anymore... Just to the grocery store and then eat in.

Tomorrow we will have a busy day visiting Diego and notarizing few documents that will be part of the legal petition to adopt him... But, we will find time to buy a little cake and supplies for our Diego's first birthday that we hope to celebrate with him on Thursday!!! We still have to check with the orphanage people, but I really hope they will say Da!

2 comments:

Tiger & Kar said...

Oh no!! How terrible that you lost today's pictures. I'm hoping you had a chance to download your photos from the first day at least?? That was great thinking on your part to bring an extra camera, but it still stinks that it was stolen. I can imagine how uneasy you must feel now. Thank you for sharing this with us even though I can understand why you might not want to at first. It's definitely good advice for those of us traveling soon.

I just had a thought - - thank goodness Mark's wallet, money, passport, etc., weren't stolen along with the camera...

I hope you're able to celebrate Diego's birthday with him. Hopefully the orphanage will give the okay!

Rob said...

I'm so sorry that you lost your camera - and more importantly, the contents - but please don't let this setback keep you from exploring around a bit!

We're eager to see photos of Diego!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers